The Erwin name appears in many spellings throughout genealogical sources as well as county records. It is seen most commonly as Erwin, Irwin, and Irvine, although there are other variants. "Francis Erwin II was convinced by a Scottish visitor, prior to 1800, that Irvine was correct and since then almost all have used the I."2
Family tradition is that the Erwins came from the north of Ireland of Scottish-Irish descent, same stock as the Argyles of Ayrshire, dates unknown. They were of the Campbell Clan.2
Most of our Erwin ancestors are presumably buried on the old family plantation ("The Clem Irvine" farm) located in the Long Glade, about 1.5 - 2 miles west of Bridgewater, VA and east of Warm Springs Pike. In early Virginia history, the Irvine family was very prominent, socially and financially, in this area. At one time, the graveyard was fenced and kept in good condition by the Irvine Family. The markers were very large flat sand stones, lying flat, and covering the graves. However, it went into disrepair after the land passed out of the Erwin family and has since been plowed over.3
1. EDWARD1 ERWIN was born Abt. 1689 in Ulster, Ireland, and died March 1772 in Long Glade, Augusta County, Virginia. He married FRANCES (probably FRANCIS) Abt. 1705 in Ireland. She was born Abt. 1685 in Ireland. They immigrated to the United States in about 1740, landing in Philadelphia. Edward acquired a large amount of land, which he deeded to his sons and grandson Francis (son of Andrew).
Children of EDWARD ERWIN and FRANCES FRANCIS are:
|2.||i.||FRANCIS2 ERWIN, b. Abt. 1729, Ulster, Ireland; d. Abt. 1791, Augusta County, VA.|
|ii.||JOHN ERWIN, m. JANE WILLIAMS.|
|iii.||ROBERT ERWIN, m. ANN CROCKETT.|
|3.||iv.||ANDREW ERWIN, m. ANN ?.|
|v.||EDWARD ERWIN, m. MARY CURRY.|
2. FRANCIS2 ERWIN (EDWARD1) was born Abt. 1729 in Ulster, Ireland, and died Abt. 1791 in Augusta County, VA. He married JANE/JEAN CURRY. She was born Abt. 1724 and died Bet. 1806 - 1807 in Augusta County, VA.
Children of FRANCIS ERWIN and JANE CURRY are:
|i.||FRANCIS3 IRVINE, b. 1743, Rockingham, VA.|
|ii.||WILLIAM IRVINE, m. MARGARET ROBERTSON.|
|iv.||MARY IRVINE, m. WILLIAM ERWIN.|
|v.||SUSANNA IRVINE, m. GEORGE BALSLEY.|
|vi.||JEAN/JANE IRVINE, m. JOHN ERWIN.|
|vii.||ELIZABETH IRVINE, d. Bef. 1835; m. ANDREW NICHOL.|
|viii.||FRANCES (Fannie) IRVINE, m. JAMES ALLEN.|
3. ANDREW2 ERWIN (EDWARD1) married ANN PATTERSON (widow). He died between May 30 - October 15, 1765.
Children of ANDREW ERWIN are:
4. FRANCIS3 IRVINE (ANDREW2 ERWIN, EDWARD1) was born in Rockingham County, VA. He married ELIZABETH CLEMENTS in 1767 in Deerfield, Augusta, VA, daughter of JACOB CLEMENTS and MARY CAMPBELL. She was baptized May 29, 1746 in the Calfpasture, Augusta County, VA.4
Elizabeth was the daughter of Jacob Clemens of West Augusta. As a little girl, she stood on a brush-covered stump and watched for Indians while her father worked in the field. Soon after her marriage, a young Indian maiden whom Elizabeth had befriended came to her secretly and told her that the tribe planned an attack upon the Deerfield settlement two nights off. Elizabeth had been given a wedding present of a fine saddle horse. She saddled this horse and rode all night over a mountain trail to successfully warn the settlers. At another time she carried a load of ammunition to Old Stone Church, done up in a homespun table cloth when the settlers there were under siege.
Her library was composed of the Bible, Milton's "Paradise Lost" and Young's "Night Thoughts." She could quote Paradise Lost "in a wonderful way."2
They attended Mossy Creek Presbyterian Church.
Children of FRANCIS IRVINE and ELIZABETH CLEMENTS are:
|i.||ANNE4 IRVINE, b. October 11, 1768, Augusta, VA.|
|ii.||MARY IRVINE, b. January 25, 1771, Augusta, VA; m. ROBERT SCOTT, 1790, Rockingham County, VA.|
|5.||iii.||JACOB CLEMENTS ERWIN, b. June 29, 1772, Augusta, Virginia; d. March 30, 1848, Rockingham, VA.|
|iv.||SARAH IRVINE, b. July 28, 1775, Augusta, VA; m. THOMAS HOPKINS, 1795, Rockingham County, VA.|
|v.||ANDREW IRVINE, b. June 05, 1778, Augusta, VA; m. POLLY HUSTON.|
|vi.||REBECCA IRVINE, b. March 22, 1781, Augusta, VA., Rockbridge, Virginia; m. DAVID USHER, 1803, Rockingham County, VA.|
|vii.||RUTH IRVINE, b. April 17, 1784, Augusta, VA; m. MICHAEL FINLEY, JR.|
|viii.||FRANCIS EUGENE IRVINE, b. November 27, 1787, Augusta, VA.|
5. JACOB CLEMENTS4 ERWIN (FRANCIS3 IRVINE, ANDREW2 ERWIN, EDWARD1) was born June 29, 1772 in Augusta, Virginia, and died March 30, 1848 in Rockingham, Virginia. He married JANE STUART 1798 in Rockingham Co., VA, daughter of FRANCIS STUART. She was born Abt. 1778 in Rockingham, Virginia, and died August 10, 1847.
Children of JACOB ERWIN and JANE STUART are:
|i.||ANNA STEWART5 IRVINE, b. August 30, 1798, Rockingham, Virginia; d. December 23, 1863, Indiana; m. JESSE SCOTT, November 12, 1816; b. 1783, Fairfield, Rockbridge, VA; d. May 06, 1849, Knightstown, Henry, IN.|
|ii.||ELIZABETH C. IRVINE, born 1800 in Rockingham, VA; died 1824. She married ? POAGE.|
|iii.||FRANCIS IRVINE, born October 05, 1802 in Rockingham, VA; died 1829.|
|iv.||RUTH B. IRVINE, born October 09, 1804 in Rockingham, VA.|
|v.||POLLY IRVINE, born September 25, 1806 in Rockingham, VA.|
|vi.||DRUSILLA IRVINE, born October 30, 1808 in Rockingham, VA.|
|vii.||CLEMENTS IRVINE, born October 10, 1812 in Rockingham, VA. He married HARRIET AUGUSTA RISON.|
|viii.||VIRGINIA IRVINE, born August 08, 1814 in Rockingham, VA.|
|ix.||HARRIET S. IRVINE, born October 18, 1816 in Rockingham, VA; died before March, 1852. In her will, she left $600 to her sister "Anny Scott", $200 and her breast-pin to Frances Harriet Scott (her niece), $100 to the foreign missionary society of the Presbyterian Church, a bed quilt to each of the 3 little daughters of George R. Gibbons, and $100 to Harriet Adaline Wynant.|